So fate is at your elbow... Suppose you better protect it with some lovely elbow patches!
I've always had a massive thing for Elbow patches. Even though it's just a little detail it can transform clothing from YAWN to WOW!
|Left and Right: Zara|
All you would need is...
- some sturdy fabric like suede/leather. (Or You could use anything really).
- Scissors, needle & thread/fabric glue. Sewing pins.
- Paper/cardboard/whatever to draw the elbow patch pattern onto...
- And a garment that needs some love and attention
All you have to do it...
- Draw an 'elbow patch' pattern onto your paper, and cut around it.
- Place the pattern onto the fabric and draw around it
- Fold the fabric in half. Pin together and cut around the pattern (this will give you 2 elbow patches lol)
- Secure onto garment using pins (in the right place... probs best to try the garment on first and mark where the patches need to go)
- Hand sew/glue securely onto the garment. Personally I think hand sewing gives the best effect rather than gluing.. I like to see a contrasting stitch.
BOOM... You have a beautiful new item of clothing :)
I love learning where something originated from and why it's there; Elbow patches were historically used on men's 'shooting jackets' and other hunting clothing. They were used to protect clothing from wear and tear from the rifles. I think it's crazy how something that originated from hunting attire can become fashion. This is what I love about fashion, how designers incorporate things that are completely 'off-topic' into their designs. I love how something that was never meant to be fashionable became fashionable! Fashion is such an awesome thing :)
Have a fun week :)